Often people search the internet using terms such as; foot specialists Sydney, foot doctor Sydney, Sydney sports podiatry or sports podiatrist Sydney as they are trying to find the best health professional to help their sore feet. Podiatrists and specifically sports podiatrists are the health professionals trained to assess foot mechanics to help determine the correct diagnosis & underlying cause/s of the discomfort and then develop a management plan to solve the problem.
- Sports Podiatry – the specialty dealing with biomechanical, sporting & overuse complaints of the foot & lower limb, rather than general footcare such as toenails, callus or corns.
- Biomechanics of the feet and legs.
- Video treadmill gait analysis.
- Orthotic (arch support) prescription – pre-made & custom-made. Custom-made ‘Sports Orthotics’ are flexible, cushioned and not rigid devices that block all foot movements.
- Honest professional opinion on whether or not your child will benefit from kids orthotics.
- Orthotic repairs and recovers performed at our onsite workshop at the Bondi Junction clinic.
- Footwear evaluation & advice (casual, sports, industrial & safety).
- Workers compensation & third party assessments & treatment.
- Medico-Legal Assessments and Reporting.
- Routine footcare for nails, callus, corns, warts, diabetic care, etc. (Maroubra clinic only)
- Overuse complaints/injuries to the feet, ankles, knees, hips & lower back (when foot mechanics are a contributing factor). The conditions treated include, but are not limited to the following –
- Tibialis Posterior Dysfunction and Accessory Naviculars
- 1st MTP joint (big toe joint) Osteoarthritis and Bunions
- Plantar plate injuries
- Patellofemoral joint pain (Runner’s Knee)
- Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome (Shin Splints)
- Plantar Fasciitis (heel pain)
- Children’s “Growing Pains”
Previous and current services/memberships
- Australian Defence Forces
- Canberra Area Medical Unit, Duntroon Military College
- Royal Australian Navy – all Sydney bases
- 2006 to current – Australian Golf Opens
- South Sydney Rabbitohs Rugby League Team
- Member of the Australian Podiatry Association
- Member of the Australasian Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine
- Member of Sports Medicine Australia
A doctor’s referral is not required to see the team at ‘Orthotic Solutions Podiatry’.
Ideal Foot Mechanics – Ideal foot mechanics have correct levels of pronation and supination during the phases of gait giving the appearance of the feet being in line with the shins.
Flat Feet – The term “Flat Feet” is a very poor general description of pronation. Very few people actually have true “Flat Feet”, where the foot does not have a medial arch even when looking at it when it is off the ground. Flat feet can be problematic and are generally not suited to prolonged standing or intense weight bearing activity. Young children appear to have “Flat Feet”, but in a lot of cases this is just a normal stage of development which typically improves as the child grows – we will give you an honest opinion on whether or not your child needs kids orthotics – please see our ‘Children’s Flat Feet Treatment – The Truth About Kids Orthotics!’ page.
Pronation is a perfectly natural biomechanical function of the foot and the medial arch. When the heel makes contact with the ground, the arch collapses or rolls inwards. It’s the foot’s way of absorbing shock at impact. Then the foot stabilises and should roll evenly off the tips of the toes and not roll off the inside of the foot, especially the big toe. Pronation is an important and absolutely necessary part of foot function during walking and especially when running and most of us have pronated feet. Excessive pronation with weight bearing activity can lead to overuse injuries of the feet, legs and even lower back.
Supination is the opposite of pronation and people with supinated feet are typically poor at absorbing shock and do not adapt well to prolonged walking or running, especially on uneven ground where they are prone to rolling their ankles.
Footwear companies have developed shoes to suit all foot types and mechanics. However, it can be difficult to choose the correct model and that’s why trained staff are essential to ensure the right shoe for you and your foot type. Beware of shoes that appear to have a “gimmick” as they are often just that and can in fact be detrimental to your foot mechanics, predisposing you to injury.
Orthotics – Some people require more support or mechanical correction than shoes can provide. These people may need pre-made or custom-made orthotics (arch supports or inserts). Many people may benefit from pre-made orthotics, whereas the more severe cases or “hard core” athletes may need custom-made sports orthotics. A regular review of orthotics is necessary to ensure they last a sufficient amount of time. Pre-made orthotics can last anywhere from weeks to months, but generally not years. Custom-made orthotics & even sports orthotics last on average 5 years provided they are maintained via reviews every 18-24 months with repairs done as needed. Our custom orthotics costs are on our fees page as are all of our fees.
Not everyone needs custom-made orthotics and that especially applies to young children with what appear to be “Flat Feet”. Studies have proven that orthotics do not permanently alter the development of children’s feet. However, if children or adults have excessively pronated feet or complain of discomfort with activity, then orthotics are often indicated – See our ‘Children’s Flat Feet Treatment – The Truth About Kids Orthotics!’ page for more information.
Should you be concerned about your or your child’s feet, please feel free to book an appointment by calling 1300 1 2 FEET.
- Biomechanical assessments incorporating video treadmill gait analysis
- Orthotics – Custom made (non rigid) and pre-made
- Orthotic repairs and recovers
- Footwear evaluation & advice
- Exercise prescription & advice
- Children’s “Growing Pains”
- Routine nail & skin care/treatments (Maroubra Only)
Our commitment to our patients –
- Expert assessment, diagnosis & treatments, every time – We will assess your mechanics, footwear, activities, etc. & explain everything in plain language so that you can make an informed decision.
- A 4 year orthotic shell guarantee – If your custom made orthotic shells break within 4 years, we will replace them free of charge.
- A 1 year top-cover guarantee – If your original top-covers wear out within the 1st year, we will replace them free of charge.
- Free 1st year review consultations – If you have any issues with your custom made orthotics within the 1st year, we will see you & alter the orthotics free of charge.
- A 25% discount on a 2nd pair of custom made orthotics – Order a 2nd pair of orthotics within 6 months of the 1st pair and you will receive a 25% discount off the original orthotic costs.
The Orthotic Solutions Podiatry commitment to our patients is subject to the Terms & Conditions detailed on our website.
ORTHOTIC SOLUTIONS PODIATRY
GIVE US A CALL NOW!
1300 1 2 FEET
Mandarin speaking Podiatrist –
Maroubra Clinic – Monday & Friday